Sunday, January 9, 2011

Be Well: The Perks of Caffeine


I was just reading the Woman's Day Magazine and this current article caught my eye. It says:

The next time you head starts pounding you could reach for a pill -- or just pour yourself a cup of joe. Caffeine helps fight headaches by increasing dopamine, a chemical that causes pleasurable sensations that counteract the pain". It then goes on to explain, "Caffeine also constricts swollen blood vessels in the brain that associated with certain types of headaches like migraines. To reap this benefit, limit your usual intake to one strong cup of coffee per day; when a headache kicks in, a second cup should make you feel better. So a cup of coffee has about 100 grams of caffenine and since I don't drink coffee I have to supplement the difference in another product.

So let's me break this down. I wake up every morning with 3 headaches; Ben, Audrey and Emma (and occasionally one husband headache). In order for ME to fight this headache and increase my dopamine, I need a chemical that causes pleasurable sensations. Simple : Diet Coke... SO as per the recommendation of my doctor, Robert Kaniecki, MD, Director of the Headache Center at the University of Pittsburg, I will then increase my Diet Coke intake, later in the day, to make me feel better. All in favor, say "AYE".

AYE!

Seriously, if I had known that I had a medication condition that insisted that I drink a few Diet Cokes a day, my life would have been much easier.

No comments:

Hello World

 I haven't had time to write in about two years. My daughter said to update my thousands of followers.  Hello World! It's me, Debbie.