Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hair Callick or Cowlick

THIS IS BY FAR MY MOST POPULAR POST... WILL YOU PLEASE CLICK THE BUTTON TO THE RIGHT AND FOLLOW ME WHILE YOU ARE VISITING?!

SO a dear friend and I were talking (who will remain nameless, but anybody have to say focaccia?) and I was telling her how Audrey could NEVER have bangs because she has this horrible "Cow Lick". This woman, who is still anonymous, starts laughing at me and says it is "Callick". I was like "no" it is "cowlick"so I called my dad and he reconfirmed her grammar. Being TOTALLY embarrassed (as I usually am when I misspronounce a word... what was that last one? Oh yeah, I thought it was kick in the "grown", but it is "groin"), so I didn't question her. I also then went home and told the story to my husband who agreed with her and laughed at me. I then decided the proper thing to do was to google it and this is where I AM RIGHT! Here you go, all those callick lovers...

The term you want is actually “cowlick”, which my grandmother said is called such because these hair growth patterns make you look as though a cow (known to have particularly sticky and thick saliva) has licked your head, making the hair stick up. However, since some cowlick sufferers have never been anywhere near a cow in their lives, it’s best to explain what really causes a cowlick.

Cowlicks are anomalous growth patterns in the hair. As we all know the hair is produced in the skin of the scalp in follicles. The size and shape of these follicles can affect the texture and wave pattern of the hair that is produced. Yet, when most people picture the hair follicles in the skin, they imagine them as perfectly vertical with the hair growing straight up and out of the scalp.


Sucka! I am the linguistic queen!

Hello World

 I haven't had time to write in about two years. My daughter said to update my thousands of followers.  Hello World! It's me, Debbie.