Tuesday, March 8, 2011

To Sweats or Not to Sweats -- That is the question


SHH! I have a confessions. I have been known to sport my pink flannel pj's to the local drive through and was talking with the principal of my kids school this morning, at drop off, with grey sweats, my Hawaii Hoodie, and here is the ticker -- NO BRA! This isn't a daily occurance, or so I like to think, it happens only a few times that I am out in sweats, and I am not proud. But no one, even a harried stay-at-home mom, would ever actually go into a store or anywhere else in public like that, right?

Oh so WRONG!

So wrong, in fact, that Tesco, a giant grocery chain in the UK, has actually had to enact an official store policy banning patrons wearing slippers and/or nightwear. London’s Daily Mail reports a notice posted at the entrance to a Tesco superstore in Wales: “To avoid causing embarrassment to others we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted).” HA HA HA... Like nursing without a cover and your boob hanging out wasn't bad enough, now the English are taking away the pajamas.

This woman pictured at the left, mother-of-two Elaine Carmody, 24, was one of the first pajama-wearing Tesco customers be marched out by a security guard.

She said: “I just don't understand it. I go in other shops in my pajamas and they don't say anything. … it is ridiculous and stupid. I've got lovely pairs of pajamas, with bears and penguins on them. I've worn my best ones today, just so I look tidy.” One Internet comment urged Walmart to impose the same rule. Added another, “I hope America adapts this ASAP.” Can you even imagine the headlines "Moms banned from midnight showing of Twilight due to Flannel Christmas Pajamas".

Wait a minute, I think I own those pants -- Old Navy?

For heaven’s sakes, moms, it is now a law in some countries and we need to have some pride and self respect in how we shop! I don’t actually care so much about what the other shoppers are thinking: Is a mother in her flannels really a lot worse than Britney Spears prancing through Target half-naked, in an outfit consisting mainly of flip-flops, cut-offs and a Starbucks cup? The problem is a matter of self-respect or self deprivation from adult interaction. How can you take yourself, and what you do in life, seriously, if you don’t think you’re important enough to even bother getting dressed in the morning? I mean those clothes will still get cleaned if you are wearing heels.

I called my sister about this and she said, "“Amen to that! Is it really too hard to put on pants in the morning? People used to care about how they looked when they left the house. I blame the decline of western civilization on Juicy sweatpants and Ugg boots.” Damn you Juicy Pants! You fit too well and your plush feel calls my name when I get out of bed.

Two of my mom friends confess to wearing their slippers that look like Uggs out and about. To that I say – it’s a slippery slope, ladies! I’m keeping my eye on those two; hopefully I won’t have to do any bunny-slipper interventions in the coming months

Look, I’m a mom. I know how hard it is to get two kids out of the house and to school on time – especially when you have stayed up late watching divo of the Bachelor and Gossip Girls. And I work from home, so it’s not imperative for me to be dressed nicely every day. I usually rush out of the house in the morning to school wearing something something that doesn't smell on the floor, and then I have the luxury of getting changed after drop-off. But, by golly, before I show up at a store later that morning or at pick-up in the afternoons ,I’m at least wearing jeans or some form of yoga pants, my hair is done and I’m probably wearing makeup... well sometimes.

This is a wake up call -- Ladies, it is time to say NO to sweats so we can become known as a society where we are not "asked" to be removed from a store because of our appearance. It is embarrassing enough to have 2 kids fighting, running up and down the isles, and spit up dripping from our hair at the grocery stores. It is time to send a message to other moms -- sweats are not to be. Even if it’s just an Ugg-clad foot into the grocery store. And the Manolo's are worth the money, even if it is just a quick romp to get a Diet Coke. So now I am going to get up and dress a bit more like this --

21 comments:

Irish Italian Blessings said...

NEVER!! Sweats are just too darn comfortable not to be worn in public. I actually like to wear my husbands XL sweats on my small body, that really shows off how comfy they are.

Kelly L said...

This morning I dropped my youngest off at school and went shopping at Target.. in my sweats.. sans makeup - hair in ponytail and not brushed yet... and I am not proud.. Just tired.. lol

following from Tuesday Follow - would love a follow back
I've Become My Mother
Kelly's Ideas
Amazing Salvation

Rambles of a SAHM said...

Ha!! Thanks for the laugh today! I am following you on GFC as RambleSAHM!
Come see me when u can!
http://ramblesahm.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

Haha! Sweats yes, pjs, resist the urge. That last picture of sweats were cute with the heels, but what was wrong with the crotch?

Ashley
www.TheThriftyWife.com

Dragonfly Sweetnest said...

The only sweats I own which aren't sweats are yoga pants. Other then that I love my dressy pants and jeans and I am super comfy in those. I found you on the Frugal Friends Tuesday Blog Hop, I am your newest GFC follower. If you could check out my blog and follow me back I would appreciate it. Thanks Amber
http://dragonflysweetnest.blogspot.com/

e said...

LOL, the shoes in that last pic are killer!!
New follower from FMBT. Very cute blog! I would love a follow back at:
http://tragiccreativity.blogspot.com
Thanks and nice to meet you!

Celeste said...

Awwww, I love the shirt! We have 2 poodles, I'm heading over to Park Ave to see if there's a fab shirt for the poodle peeps! Happy blog hop tuesday....really glad to have found you. You have my kind of blog. Fun and fresh! Stop by and say Hi soon at http://shallowocity.blogspot.com

Diane and Chad said...

Love the last picture...so funny!! After dropping kids off and heading to work for MANY years, I'm still getting dressed as soon as I get up...maybe jeans, but definitely not sweats...I just don't like 'em!
I'm a first time visitor and new follower. come visit if you can:
childhoodmyths.blogspot.com

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Thanks for stopping by and following my blog; I'm now your newest follower too! I just want to be comfortable and yet not look like a frump in public. LOL!

LindyLouMac said...

Oh boy this would just never happen in Italy! We dress up just to go to the market. :)

Jess said...

I remember being younger and saying I'd NEVER be the sweatpants mom...oh to be young and naive...

BK said...

I love sweat pants. I don't care what anybody thinks lol. Happy Friday. New follower :). Hope you have a great weekend.

BK
http://bkwalkerscafe.com

Just Wedeminute said...

I think sweats are ok but PJ pants aren't! They are my biggest pet peeve to see them in WAL MART!

Susan W. said...

Hi...link from FB hop brought me to your blog...so I am following you via GFC...Sue
www.fingerclicksaver.com

Krystal said...

I just don't see how they think it is that hard to take off the pjs in the morning and put on normal clothes..

I am following you from the Social Parade.

http://www.glamourgirlreviews.com

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Oh goodness...I wear sweats far too much

Here from a blog hop and happy to meet you,
<3, New Follower
Tomorrow starts a week of giveaways on A Taste of T

Hello I'm Lala! said...

Great post!!! I struggle with this on a daily basis. I do not leave my house in pj's or slippers, but I do tend to walk out wearing sweats or workout gear quite often. I hate it!! But it's either never the leave the house or take an hour to get ready. I'm slowly getting better.

Kyla said...

Very well written!! I was just complaining about people wearing pj's to the store on another blog!! I do get dressed (in clothes I wouldn't have been caught dead in back before I moved into my cave a.k.a. SAHM-dom) but I NEVER have makeup on and my hair is always in a ponytail. It's been so long ago that I wore make up on a regular basis that when I put it on now I feel like I look like a clown! I'm your newest follower from Mingle Monday. I'd love for you to follow back at Homeschooling by the Yard

Unknown said...

OMG- I blogged about something similar last week. One post was about things we have to give up when we turn thirty (wearing pjs in public was on the list) and I had another blog about appropriate warm weather attire. I'd love to hear your comments! I also posted photos!

http://weddedblisster.blogspot.com/

look for spring into fashion faux pas

and leave it in the past; what it means to be over thirty

Enjoyed your blog today. Following from the monday blog hop!

S

http://weddedblisster.blogspot.com/

Meghan said...

My favorite part of this whole discussion is that the lady actually took time out to pick her good pajamas to wear to the grocery store. If she's going to go to that much work, she might as well just put on jeans.

(I'm visiting from the Ultimate Blog Party.)

Mommy Shorts said...

What about really expensive yoga pants that make my ass look awesome?

Stopping over from the UBP. Nice to meet you!

Hello World

 I haven't had time to write in about two years. My daughter said to update my thousands of followers.  Hello World! It's me, Debbie.